Barr Lake State Park BioBlitz!
Head out to Barr Lake (bring the whole family) for a BioBlitz! A day filled with exploring the park and learning about all of its wild inhabitants from expert leaders! This event is the perfect way to work toward the Citizen Scientist Journey, which is for all troop levels.
What is a BioBlitz? BioBlitz comes from “bio”, meaning life, and “blitz”, meaning to do quickly.
This event brings together natural resource experts, volunteers, and community members to inventory all species (plants, mammals, birds, insects, fungi, etc.) in a specific area over a specific time period. Not only are you contributing to science, you’re working with experts who can answer your questions and help you learn about our incredible world!
We will be recording species in the iNaturalist app. Download the app ahead of time to keep track of all of your discoveries.
- 7-9 a.m. - Bird Banding
- 8-9 a.m. - Guided Bird Survey
- 9-9:30 a.m. - Welcome at Meadowlark Pavilion
- 9:30-10:30 a.m. - Mammal Presentation and Survey
- 10:45-11:45 a.m. - Herp Presentation and Survey
- 11:45 a.m.-12:30 p.m. - Lunch Break (bring your own lunch)
- 12:30-1:30 p.m. - Macro-invertebrate Survey (TBD)
- 1:30-2:30 p.m. - Guided Insect Survey
- 2:30-3:30 p.m. - Guided Tree and Plant Survey
- 3:30-4:30 p.m. - Guided Tree and Plant Survey
- 9:00-10:00 p.m. - Night Insect Survey
This event is free but PLEASE NOTE a daily or annual vehicle Colorado State Parks Pass is required for entry into the park.
There is no specific registration needed, but if you are planning on attending as a troop, please contact Sarah Doxon to let her know the number of Girl Scouts in the troop attending.
Questions? Contact Sarah Doxon, Early Childhood & Family Coordinator, at email@example.com