Small Craft Safety Training
Small Craft Safety Certification is required by Girl Scouts of Colorado through the American Red Cross in order for adults to take girl scouts (Brownie to Ambassador) boating in any capacity. This is for non-motorized vessels such as canoeing, kayaking, stand-up paddle boarding, sailing, and windsurfing, and is valid for three years.
This Small Craft Safety Certification course is for adults 18+ only and covers canoeing and kayaking (but certifies you to instruct/lead activities from the list above as well).
This course covers the following topics:
- Equipment/gear identification and maintenance
- Paddle strokes and techniques
- Launching and taking out boats
- Basic water rescues, swamping and rescues (you are required to get into the water and fully submerge)
- Learning how to prevent, identify, and respond to small craft safety emergencies
- How to facilitate boating in a safe, fun, and engaging way
- This course will not provide you with the information and skills to become a lifeguard.
This course is held at a city park and participants are responsible for paying their own park entry fee for the day.
An email will be sent out the week of the course with more information, a meeting location, and ‘what to bring’ list.
This course requires a minimum registration of four participants. If the minimum is not met by the registration deadline, the course will be canceled, and money will be refunded.