Junior Explore It Day Camp - WS - 6/27-29/2018
Junior Girl Scouts are invited to Explore-It, a fun-interactive STEM day camp hosted by the Museum of the West and the Bureau of Land Management, June 27-29!
Girls will learn about dinosaurs, paleontology, geology, fossils, mining, and the history of early life in the Grand Valley through hands-on activities and visits to regional educational and historical sites. Girls will visit the Museum of the West, Cross Orchards, the Mica Mine, Dinosaur Journey, Fruita Paleontological Area, and Dinosaur Hill.
Here are highlights of camp activities planned:
• Visit Cross Orchards and learn about early life in Grand Valley (irrigation agriculture, fruit packing, Train Transportation). Learn about pioneer kids and what the daily life of a child 125 years ago was like and ride the train.
• Hike Bangs Canyon Trailhead to the Mica Mine and focus on the engineering challenge of historical mining.
• Tour Collections and Prep labs at Dinosaur Journey to learn about science and methods in paleontology and stewardship of fossils. Dissect and owl pellet and build a dinosaur.
• Visit the Museum of the West and learn about tools and science of Archaeology with real artifacts.
• Hike Dinosaur Hill loop and learn about regional geology from top and Apatosaurus at Riggs Quarry.
• Hike the Fruita Paleontological Area and loop to learn about sedimentary rocks.
We’re also looking for a few adult volunteers to help with transportation and older girl volunteers to help younger Girl Scouts at the camp. Adult volunteers transporting Girl Scouts will need to be approved volunteers per GSCO’s volunteer policies. If you are interested in volunteering, you can sign-up at - www.SignUpGenius.com/go/904044BADA72AA57-explore
Questions? please contact Lori Thompson at email@example.com Thank you!