Pathway: Long-Term Direct Service
This volunteer position has a one-year term with the possibility of reappointment at the consent of both the volunteer and Girl Scouts of Colorado (GSCO).
Reports to: Resident Camp Directors
Beekeeper volunteers are wanted to help maintain bee hives, offer educational programming to campers and weekend groups, and help train camp staff regarding proper beekeeping practices. The location of this position is at Tomahawk Ranch Camp in Bailey, Colorado. Peak programming with girls and staff occurs from June through August, and additional roles are available with bees and weekend groups throughout the year.
Individual who fill this volunteer position will gain a sense of accomplishment, develop transferable skills and connect with the community. Volunteers in this role will benefit from knowing they are sharing skills that will keep our gardens growing strong for many years.
Volunteers will receive training and to the camp facility and policies. They will also receive ongoing support from Resident Camp Director.
• Remain informed about and comply with the most current policies, procedures, and guidelines of Girl Scouts of Colorado (GSCO) and Girl Scouts of the USA (GSUSA). Including but not limited to those found in Volunteer Essentials.
• Complete orientation for the role regarding camp property, program and policies.
• Lead programming with Girl Scouts on GSCO property.
• Complete risk management forms (ex: incident reports) in the event of incidents and injuries.
• Follow GSCO and Safety Activity Checkpoints policies at all times.
• Follow State of Colorado childcare licensing statutes as well as American Camp Association Standards as directed by council staff and lead volunteers.
• Maintain girl safety during program.
Qualifications and Core Competencies – Required:
• Accept the Girl Scout Promise and Law and register as a member of GSUSA.
• Be an approved adult volunteer with a volunteer application, cleared background check, and volunteer interview on file with GSCO.
• Pass a higher level of background check for volunteering at a GSCO Resident Camp in accordance with State of Colorado Childcare Licensing.
• Present a positive image of Girl Scouting to girls, volunteers and community members through effective communication, high personal standards of conduct and knowledge of the Girl Scout program and organization. Promote the benefits of Girl Scouting and the importance of making a personal financial contribution and volunteering time to GSCO.
• Willingness to learn about and work with adults and girls with diverse backgrounds/abilities.
• Have experience and knowledge to share regarding beekeeping, gathering honey, and risk management involved in beekeeping.
Additional Competencies, Skills, or Requirements – Preferred:
• Experience or ability to lead groups in the outdoors.
• Ability to manage safety of girls in the outdoors.
• Outward Bound, NOLS, or other outdoor leadership course.
• Wilderness First Aid or Wilderness First Responder.